KinPark Farm Assistant
Cowichan Green Community (CGC) is looking for a KinPark Urban Farm Assistant at the farm located at Kinsmen Park. This position is full-time temporary and directly reports to the KinPark Youth Urban Farm Supervisor.
KinPark Youth Urban Farm
After site plan presentations were made and subsequently approved by North Cowichan and City of Duncan councils in late 2012, CGC’s Skills link team of 6 local youth, began to bring their vision of an urban farm on parkland to life. This included the transformation of a quarter acre of grass at Kinsman Park into a lush growing space and the construction of a passive solar greenhouse next to the retrofitted pool building.
What has emerged since is a youth-led urban farm and demonstration site based on the principles of permaculture, that aims to train young people how to grow food and run a business, provide increased access to local and sustainably produced food, and educate community members of all ages on various aspects of urban agriculture.
Since July 2014, KinPark expanded its programming by adding in a summer camp called KinPark Kids Camp. Every summer, KinPark blossoms with learning, laughter, and magical friendships from children and their families attending KinPark Kids Camp. This camp is for children ages 6 to 10 to engage in hands-on learning that includes growing, harvesting, cooking, and all things related to sustainability.
To be eligible youth must
• be between 16 and 30 years of age at the beginning of the employment period
• This is an 8-week position with the option of extending
• be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment
• have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
Cowichan Green Community (CGC) is a non-profit organization that has been focusing on environmental sustainability in the Cowichan Region since March 2004. CGC’s mandate is to improve food security by developing strong relationships with local food producers, increasing capacity for local food production (both urban and rural), and empowering people with the knowledge, skills, and resources they need to feed their community.
Our Vision and Purpose:
- We envision a food-secure Cowichan nourished by celebrating our connection to food, to our environment, and to each other.
- Cowichan Green Community (CGC) cultivates resilient, inclusive, and healthy local food systems and a vibrant social fabric.
- Our mission is to cultivate food, community, and resilience.
- CGC is a community leader, creating a future where our foundation is built on health and well-being; our environment, economy, and social fabric are resilient and inclusive; where we celebrate our connection to the earth and to each other.
- CGC is also a hub for social innovation, community engagement, and community building.
- CGC creates positive change through education, regenerative projects, and celebration.
- CGC’s Guiding Principles are evident in all the work that we do: we value inclusion, responsibility, commitment, positive solutions, diversity, collaboration, and environmental reverence.
CGC offers a work environment where you will feel safe and supported. Your successes are our successes, and we will make sure you get what you need to make that happen.
Diversity and Inclusion
CGC believe that communities include everyone, regardless of what you look like, where you’re from, who you love or how you think. Just come as you are and grab a plate. If you eat food and want to help others to do the same, you have a place with us.
CGC is hiring for summer 2023 full-time/35 hours per week for 8 weeks with Summer Youth Employment. KinPark is open from 9 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday, with some evening or weekend events.
• Communicate with community partners, community members, and park visitors
• Assist with KinPark Kids Camp as required
• Assist with general day-to-day operations of the farm including planting, watering, weeding, harvesting, marketing, etc.
• Assist with online market orders
• Assist with ongoing construction at the farm
• Assist with the hygiene of facilities including bathroom and mini-kitchen area
• Communicate clearly with staff, clients, and Management.
• Keep the KinPark Urban Farm Supervisor fully informed on the status of the client sites.
• Advise the KinPark Urban Farm Supervisor immediately about any safety, health, thefts, or other vandalism issues.
• Perform other duties as required by the KinPark Urban Farm Supervisor.
• This position will work primarily outdoors in adverse and varying weather conditions, but there will be a time in an office environment as well.
• Standing for long periods of time will be required.
• Lifting to 50 lbs. will be required.
Experience and Skills:
The ideal candidate has:
• Previous garden and/or farm work experience
• Good organizational skills
• Working knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and the Internet
• Knowledge and understanding of food security is an asset
• Previous work at a community non-profit organization an asset
• Free parking
• $25/month credit at CGC’s grocery store for recovered food
• Discounted summer camp for employee’s children
• Free access to CGC workshops
• Casual dress code
Send your resume to: