Ceres Edible & Ecological Gardens

Ceres Edible & Ecological Gardens specializes in the design, installation, and maintenance of gardens that are organic, native, wild, edible, biodiverse, drought and flood tolerant, and supportive of pollinators and wildlife. Our work is inspired by the principles of permaculture to create outdoor living environments that are beautiful, productive, self-sustaining and mimic nature. We love to teach and invite any curious clients to work with us and learn the techniques and principles we use.

We believe ecologically sustainable gardens are beautiful, require less resources, and take less and less management over-time. We believe they enhance food security and create ecological resilience in times of droughts, floods, contaminated landscapes, and habitat loss. Ecological necessity requires us to change mainstream landscaping practices. Work with us to create demonstration gardens for a resilient future.

We believe gardens should emulate and work with nature instead of fighting against it.

Our Services

  • Invasive Species Removal & Management
  • Biodiverse Hedgerows & Forest Buffers (for birds, pollinators, privacy & noise reduction)
  • Drought-tolerant Food & Flower Gardens
  • Food Forests
  • Berry Gardens
  • Container Gardens
  • Culinary Herb Gardens
  • Medicinal Gardens
  • Wildcrafting Gardens
  • Pollinator Lawns
  • Wetland Creation and Restoration
  • Ecological Consulting

…and more!

Hire us today!

Ceres is based in Duncan and offers services to residents, homeowners, and commercial customers residing in all parts of the Cowichan Valley, including Ladysmith, Chemainus, Duncan, Lake Cowichan, Cobble Hill, Mill Bay and Shawnigan Lake. BOOK A CONSULT TODAY: We offer a $100 Consult Package that includes a 1 hour In-Person Site Visit

For more information or to book your consultation, contact Jan at janice@cowichangreencommunity.org or phone 250-748-8506

Ceres is a social enterprise of Cowichan Green Community, with all profits going to support food security projects in the Cowichan Region.

Our goal is to build and maintain healthy soil, and this can only be done through truly natural growing practices. Healthy soil is alive with microorganisms that are killed by herbicides, pesticides and many concentrated fertilizers. These chemicals also harm pollinators and other wildlife, and release toxins and excess nutrients into our waterways and watersheds. We believe everything is connected and we grow with this in mind.

In our garden designs and installations, we aim for at least 70% native species to aid the broader health of our ecosystem. This is because many native pollinators and wildlife rely on native species for part or all of their life cycles. That still leaves lots of room (up to 30%) for showy blooms that may be non-native, but well-adapted and non-invasive.

We are careful to grow or purchase true native varieties that actually support native species. There are many “nativars” at local nurseries that are not true natives and do not serve the same ecological function.

Despite their availability at local nurseries (buyers beware!), we believe it is NEVER necessary to use any plants that have made it onto the  local Invasive Species lists. Invasive species reduce biodiversity and in the process reduce ecological resilience. There are countless non-native species that are well-adapted to local conditions and non-invasive. Many common landscaping plants out there are actually invasive, and either directly or indirectly harmful to native pollinators and wildlife.

How do you feel when you’re in a healthy mixed-aged forest or native plant meadow? We’re the types who are not tempted to sweep up the mess, in fact, we like it. ‘Messy’ to some is a sign of ecological health to others. Same as in the forest, as often as possible, we leave the leaves, because they are one way that nature builds healthy soil. We also compost plant debris on site as much as possible to give nutrients back to gardens.